The Plainview Water District was established in 1928 when it became a special improvement district in the Town of Oyster Bay, encompassing all of Plainview and portions of Old Bethpage and Syosset. Until 1953, all water consumed was purchased from a neighboring district. There were no wells, tanks, administration or maintenance buildings, just a limited number of water mains.
Development of the Plainview Water District progressed from 1953 to its current status of an efficiently operated water district, with twelve deep wells, three ground storage tanks, and a one-and-one-quarter-million gallon elevated tank.
The District has a three-member Board of Commissioners elected by the residents of the District, and the Board implements policies and approves expenditures. The Superintendent is responsible to report to the Board and to supervise a team of trained personnel. Water District personnel functions range from providing maintenance to operating a computerized billing system.
Potable water, meeting all local, State and Federal standards is furnished to more than10,500 accounts through approximately 130 miles of water main serving approximately 32,000 residents. Providing 80 Years of Dedicated Service to the Communities of Plainview and Old Bethpage, New York.
"Providing safe and reliable drinking water to the community since 1928"